Sunday, July 1, 2012

Of Double Q's and HEAT!
Hi everyone! I am reporting on the past week and my adventures. Tuesday was Mom's birthday and the weather here was amazing! It was only 77 degrees and a steady breeze so we all went on a very long walk in the Arboretum. The only bad part of the experience was that the creek bed was completely dried out!! Hasten and I really wanted to play in the water but there was none to be found. As we rounded the park area, we got close to the duck pond and both of us jumped in! Ciaran just had his feet a little wet--he did not understand how much fun it is. Mom was not thrilled---when we got out our feet, legs and tummies were black from the mucky pond! We had a great time though!



Later in the week the temperatures rose terribly!  I knew something was up--Mom was packing up the agility stuff and twice she snuck out of the house with Hasten and tried to distract me so I wouldn't know they were going to agility practice. I guess it's OK---I didn't really want to go run doing stupid agility when it is so hot!

Sure enough, on Friday morning the three of us (Mom, Hasten and I), went with Wendy from Peak Performance to Lynchburg, VA. That was the hottest agility trial I have ever attended. I heard Mom say that is was so hot that I was going to pack up my stuff and leave. Luckily we had this really nice air conditioned building to hang out in and mom put our cool coats on us. I ran first in FAST class but I didn't understand the directions for my Send and missed it. I was in a good mood though. When I was getting ready for Jumpers I found this man sitting in the shade and I ran straight to him. He petted me and made me do the Dancing Booty and that made me happy. Mom was cheering me on and I gave her a bunch of kisses at the start line. (I have NO idea why!---what was wrong with me?--I was in a decent mood!) I ran with Wendy in JWW's and Q'd and got 2nd place! Mom was very happy---and she and Wendy couldn't believe I made time--since it was so hot and I don't usually do well in the heat.

Later, I gave Mom many more kisses and then they took me out to the Standard class. Did I mention it was really hot. Someone said 107 degrees!!! I did NOT like the 2nd obstacle--the dogwalk--it was SOOOOO hot! but Wendy said that if I would hurry up it wouldn't be over soon so I kept going. Guess what? I Q'd and got 2nd place! Everyone was so happy and talking about that ridiculous Double Q thing again. That makes 17--whatever that means!

My sister Hasten did well too--she got her 1st Q in FAST class (2nd place) and her 1st Q in Time 2 Beat (1st place). She never once went sniffing or ran out of the ring. We all thought she would jump the fencing and go visit since it was her first outdoor trial. Surprisingly my little freak of sister did very well.

When we got home a HUGE storm came and we had no power for 24 hours! Exciting! We all got to sleep down in the basement with Mom and Dad.

I have to say that going to trials now and watching her get treats out of the special treat bag and seeing her get her own frozen "baby food" jar is quite motivating. Perhaps I will do a little more agility...if I am made to.

My grandmother arrived from Florida so she will be here a few days--that will mean we have to stay in the kitchen--because she doesn't really "do" animals. My sister is going to go crazy!!!

Here's the video of our runs. Click here: Our runs

So, peeps--who knows why, but I had a good time on Friday! Heat and all!

Peace Out!
Barclay, semi-reluctant agility dog






No comments:

Post a Comment